Thursday, January 10, 2013

Love Virtually

"Write to me Emmi. Writing is like kissing, but without lips. Writing is kissing with the mind"

Love Virtually is the translated version of Daniel Glattauer's book "Gut gegen Nordwind" which was published in 2008. It became immensely successful and a sequel "Alle sieben Wellen" hit the market in 2011. The book itself is one of my dear favourites and deals with Emmi Rothner & Leo Leike who meet (my pun-gun is full of ammunition today) virtually. She wants to cancel a subscription and accidently & repeatedly sepnds e-mails to him. Leo & Emmi are both unhappy with there lives. He is pining for a certain Marlene and she caught in a marriage with an older man who brought 2 children (one of them a teeange girl) into the relationship. Emmi & Leo soon develop a flirtatious friendship and write to each other regularly. However, things get intense and tangeld when both of them fall for each other.

"I'm not looking for adventure with you. I just want to see who you are. Just once I want to look my email buddy in the eye. If that's what you call cheating, then I admit that I might just be a cheat" 

The book is a real page-turner and superbly intense. It was, some people might have guessed translated from German and that is the only problem I can find with "Love Virtually". 

I have read the book in German a while ago and was really pleased to find out that it had been translated into English and therefore is now available to a much bigger audience. I was disapointed tho once I saw the the actual book. The "German cover" looks much nicer and the title "Love Virtually" makes the book sound cheesy and silly. So for the sequel why not just translate the title?  

No comments:

Post a Comment